Monday, September 13, 2010

Week 5 Day 1

This is the week everything goes wonky.  Instead of the same program every day, I've got 3 different runs.  I did briefly contemplate skipping the Day 1 program and doing Day 2 twice, but my common sense won out.  I've been doing so well following the program that it seems like a bad idea to start thinking I know better. 

I spent the first 5 minute run trying to focus on my breathing and stride.  I often feel like I shuffle when I jog instead of longer strides.  I've been trying to make myself plant, roll my foot, and push off with my ankle instead of simply lifting my foot.  To me, that seems like it would be more efficient and easier.  I know I probably over-exaggerated the motion, but I think that's better for the long term goal of training my body to run that way.  I want to get someone to "examine" my stride, but the only places I know that do that are shoe stores, and I'd feel bad going in with no intent to buy new shoes. 

Second 5 minute I added the dreaded hill.  It's a short but ungodly steep incline that I usually use as my turn around point for that leg of my run.  Today I went right up it.  Noticed I was basically running on my toes to do it.  Felt like I was parallel to the incline too.  But I got up it and still managed to get through the rest of the 5 without dying.

Last 5 minutes was pretty easy.  Prior weeks, the last run has been painful but not today.  That made me feel pretty good about my decision to stick to the program instead of pushing to Day 2.  I added in my extra runs as well, which is less than half a mile, but it's as much for me knowing I can finish the scheduled runs and still do more than anything else.

Plotted out a couple of routes for my Day 2 and Day 3 runs so I'm not just going in circles in my subdivision.  One is just shy of 2 miles and the other is .25 miles over.  If I can finish the Day 3 route in 20 minutes, I'll be incredibly happy, and completely amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment