Thursday, September 9, 2010

Mid week update

Much easier than last week since I dropped the off day bike riding in favor of some basic strength training and core exercises.  Hopefully those will also make the running easier as the distances get longer.

The best thing about this week so far is my total distance with warm up and cool down is 5K.  Even though I'm still running less than half of my total work out, this feels like a huge accomplishment.  When I started this a month ago, walking 3 miles would have killed me.  Shoot, walking the 1K to the end of the street and back was bad enough.  I'm estimating that I run about 2 of the 3 miles at this point.  Can't be sure since Runkeeper doesn't seem to work properly.

Another discovery was that my breathing gets completely back to normal during the cool downs.  I was worried that I'd still be huffing and puffing with cool downs that are only half of my run times.  I haven't tried monitoring my heart rate and recovery yet since my experience with heart rate monitors is that they don't work.  I suppose I could check my pulse during the cool down, but I don't have a watch with me when I run.

No comments:

Post a Comment