Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Two runs this week

I use that term loosely for Sunday.  That was supposed to be my I'm going to run until my legs fall off day.  Unfortunately, they fell off after about 5 minutes running on uneven grass and dirt.  I was going to run on the road, but the third guy who blew past me at 55+ while almost hitting me with his side mirror changed my mind.  Just glad it was the middle of the day so that I was visible.  Moved into the grassy and every foot fall felt funny (bonus points for alliteration).  I couldn't get a rhythm going and generally the run felt weird.  So I turned and walked back to my normal route.  My shins were killing me as I started to run again so I gave up.  I did some intervals as I proceeded to go home to sulk.  Shouldn't really surprise me that the drivers weren't particularly polite since this is the same area where people throw stuff at cyclists on the road.  Still, I expected at least some consideration.

Today was a much better run.  Added in the "big hill" I ran as a test before the 5k.  My goal is to be able to run three laps through that neighborhood by the first week of Christmas.  I don't think it will be a problem.  It was significantly easier to do today than it was a month ago.

Got done with the first mile in just short of 10 minutes.  Since that included the new hill, I was okay with that time.  Unfortunately, I carried that pace through the rest of my run instead of speeding up once it flattened out again.  I think my brain shut down once I got through the 10 minute point because I don't remember hearing the 5 minute announcements that I use to remind me to check my speed.  At least not until I got back into the neighborhood and was trying to decide which road to take at the intersection, then my brain turned back on and I heard the 5 minute warning when I was about halfway down the street I chose.  Was trying to get back to my street before time ran out, but missed it by about .05 miles.  I ran another quarter mile after the 30 minute timer went off and it took about 2 minutes.  Have to guess on time based on the song playing at the end of the run.  Also, not 100% sure of where I stopped running, so I'm basing it on where I normally stop running. 

After a coupe myeh weeks on the road, this one was pretty good.  I think I need to sign up for some more races soon to keep the motivation up.  Or see some weight loss again since I've plateaued over the last few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment